Thursday, July 9, 2009


Most people see my perennial garden from the road as they are driving by. For it to catch their eye, it should have big splashes of color. As I work amid the towering pink filipendula, I imagine that it does, that it looks as stunning from the road as it does from up close. Wrong. I am always surprised, when I think the garden is in full bloom, to view it from the road, a couple of hundred feet away, and see that it doesn't look like very much at all. Perhaps that is why it is good to remember that no matter which face your garden turns to the world, it is truly seen the most by its gardener, who should plan it for his or her own satisfaction, for the deep gifts it will impart, for the store of knowledge it will constantly unpack. As we toil in the garden, we see the detail that drive-by gardeners see only as a blur. Still, I see bigger color splashes in my garden's future; they give me an excuse to let plants spread. A garden is for sharing, even if only for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment