Friday, February 12, 2010














Rosemary and cacti--what an unlikely combination to the eyes of a Midwestern gardener. As one who has grown rosemary in a pot on the deck, who used it sparingly in my cooking so as not to damage the plant, and who tried unsuccessfully to winter it as a house plant, I was quickly taken in by the beauty of this small mountain of an herb on display in front of the Clarendon Hotel in Phoenix, AZ, last week. While I've read that rosemary likes heat and good drainage, and that it has long, deep roots, I somehow never imagined it as a companion for cactus. I think of it as a friend of plants like basil, dill and chives--because that is how I usually grow it. Time to expand my thinking (and since planting outdoor pots is still three months away here in Zone 4, I have plenty of time to do this...) For now, I'm thinking that planting some cacti in my pots next spring would be great for keeping squirrels away. Better yet, by adding cacti I might end up with rosemary like a mountain instead of rosemary like a sprig. I'll settle for rosemary like a hill--even a knoll--because as I write this, I look out at the snow and I know I'm not in Phoenix anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment