Tuesday, March 9, 2010


Winter is finally melting away, and unfortunately the Christmas lights are still hanging--what a winter it has been! Before it started, I spent a cold October afternoon making a large grapevine wreath to hang over the fireplace. Having cut more vines than I needed, I decided to wind the leftovers into a ball, which I thought to use as a small garden ornament this spring. As Christmas approached, it occurred to me that by encircling it with wire a couple of times I could hang it from a hook like a giant tree ornament. Better construction in October would have yielded a more cohesive ball shape, but this one, loose as it is, has withstood the rigors of this unforgettable winter. I'm way past ready for the Christmas lights to disappear, but I will miss seeing the grapevine ornament from my kitchen window. Soon, however, it will go to the garden where it will no doubt provide a home for some kind of unwanted creature. Hmmm--what a summer it will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment