Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Land Of 10,000 Lilies



What do I love about a day lily? I love the ovoid shape of its petals and their spectacular sponginess. I love the not-too-symmetrical shape of the blooms. I love the smooth, strong, long stems that lean into a summer's day shouting "look at me!" I love the character it takes to stand so tall for beauty that is fleeting. I love its trumpet call to the sun, and the way it doesn't droop when the sun calls back. I love the quiet patience it displays all year for this one blaze of color. A day lily by any other name would look as awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy your posts, Coleen! (By the way, I noticed that your blog list contains the old address for My Northern Garden, which is why the most recent post seems to be a year old. The new URL is http://mynortherngarden.com.)

Coleen Johnston said...

Thanks, Penelope. I love Penelopedia, too-- would love to be able to take photos the way you do, and I like keeping up on Northfield. Thanks, too, for sending the Northern Garden address. I've been missing reading it.

Post a Comment