Thursday, April 2, 2009


"Some kind of cactus" was the only name that came with this cactus. Finally, a 93-year-old showed me hers and told me it was called an orchid cactus. I felt very happy calling it an orchid cactus, because the name seemed to suit the exotic flower. Now today, as I sit writing about it, I have checked the Internet for more information and found that an orchid cactus is white and blooms at night. Oh dear. My cactus is red and blooms in the daytime. It turns out mine has been moved out of the classification epiphyllum phyllantus (orchid cactus) and into another called disocactus e. achermannii. It is now known as a disocactus. Somehow I feel that this is a bit of a demotion, though I know that science is not served by grouping things into broad categories. I make a note to start watching the discactus to see if it blooms at night, too, but in the meantime I content myself with the fact that its blossom is some kind of wonderful.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Who cares what it's called--it's pretty!

Post a Comment