Tuesday, April 14, 2009


So, will I have daffodils tomorrow? One here, at least, looks eager to please--maybe it will even open today. We have several clumps of daffodils naturalizing in our woods, but that makes them late bloomers, so to speak. Even the meager shade of the bare branches in early spring is enough to make them lag behind. Consequently, they are barely out of the ground while the daffodils in the photo, growing in my garden, are almost ready to go. I planted them in between clumps of day lilies, which makes for a great working combination. As the daffodils die down, the day lilies come up and cover the fading daffodil leaves. I love it when one of my planting plans actually turns out to work--many don't go quite according to plan (see future blogs for these tales of woe as they occur...) For today, there is at least the promise of daffodils. (They do not promise that they will bloom tomorrow--aren't flowers wise?)

No comments:

Post a Comment