Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cuttin' O' the Green




Not all cutbacks come from the government, or from a CEO whose job is on the line.  Some come in the garden.  Mine are just in time for St. Patrick's Day.  The arbor vitaes, which I planted in the garden because I didn't know where else to put them, have grown from ten inch seedlings to bushy, good-smelling trees that are too big to keep pruned into neat cones or trapezoids, and yet too nice to cut down entirely.




They were spreading in all directions, each lower branch rooting and sending up new little trees--Yikes!  Drastic action was needed.  I lopped and I sawed, and got a pile o' green for my trouble.  So far no pot of gold, but I did save a rose bush and several peonies from extinction.  Not a bad payoff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment