Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Secret Birdbath




Some ideas work out better than others.  In an earlier attempt to control arbor vitae shrubs-that-had-become-trees in my garden two years ago, (see Cuttin' O' the Green, 3-15-12,) I sawed off one large specimen three feet above the ground, intending to finish the job at ground level.  The stumps, however, made a flat platform perfect for a birdbath.  I happened to have a birdbath lacking its pedestal.  Voila!  The proverbial marriage made in heaven. 



I set the concrete dish on the stumps and left all the greenery at the bottom.  It was gorgeous.  There was only one problem:  the tree kept right on growing and pretty soon the birds couldn't find the birdbath.  This year, in my ruthless pruning, I decided the stumps were going to go, once and for all.  To get to them, however, I had to first prune away the lower branches.  I decided the stumps themselves were quite beautiful and possibly even sculptural.  I decided to a few boughs around the top might make it look like a topiary birdbath.  I have now decided it looks scrawny and not all that beautiful.  Birds, however, have decided differently.  What was a secret birdbath is secret no longer.  The only secret is whether or not it will ever look like a topiary.

No comments:

Post a Comment