Friday, May 8, 2009


Here is my garden a couple of days ago. I took the photo to show off the Arabis caucasia (Snow Cap) my sister gave me several years ago. The Arabis has been thriving on this slope with eastern exposure ever since, one of the few plants I ever planted in the right place the first time around. Last weekend, she introduced me to a wonderful new garden center, Hauser's Superior View Farm at Bayfield, Wisconsin. Yesterday I finally planted the pink Malva I bought, some Nepeta, a blue Columbine which I hope will not cross with my predominant yellow/orange wild Columbines, some Lavender--even though I know now that wintering it over is mostly hopeless, and two white day lilies. All of these were purchased bareroot, and all withstood three days in damp paper packing very well, a good reminder that not every pass-along plant needs to be potted, especially if it's going to its new home in a timely fashion. My sister, of course, had beautifully potted the Arabis she gave to me, presenting it not as some homeless creature culled from her garden but as a beautiful work of art nurtured by her own hands. Oh, to think of all of our plants that way as we struggle keep order in the garden against invading box elder trees, bullying Rudbekia Goldsturm and other demons of nature.

In plants we see the gift of peace, in the Arabis the gift of a sister, and in pass-alongs the gift of memory. As Mother's Day approaches, I look to plants that connect me with Mom, who loved bulbs, and so I anticipate the planting of dahlias and glads next week. So many of my perennials came to me from my mother-in-law that I see her every time I go to the garden.

My garden a couple of days ago/their gardens many years ago: What a gift the garden is.

No comments:

Post a Comment