Friday, May 15, 2009


Trout lilies. Fish as flower. Except mine, so far, haven't seemed to flower. A friend gave me these, which were growing wild under her clotheslines, and I set them in along the edge of the woods with some Dutchman's breeches and wild ginger, but so far no blooms. I suspect they could use a little more sun--but I fear moving them, since they are famously rare and fragile. I feel quite blessed to have some growing in my world, their spotted, fish-shaped leaves reminding me of spring trout fishing in northern Wisconsin. Perhaps it is asking too much to want a blossom, too? Or perhaps I need the same patience in waiting for the flower that I need in waiting for a bite?

In a few weeks, the trout lilies will disappear from view and I will wonder if they have died out, in the same way I always fear that my Virginia Bluebells will never come back. Like trout, these plants lie at the bottom of a very deep pool to wait out the hot days of summer and the cold days of winter. Only in the spring do they rise--just like spawning trout. Flower as fish.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Interesting. I'd never thought of that comparison.

Alejandra y Gara said...

Good blog , we like this blog

Post a Comment