Wednesday, May 27, 2009


Last spring when I moved this decrepit little arbor back to this spot (it's a long story--first it was here, then I moved it because the area was too shady, then after a few years I moved it back...) I planned to make a path wend its way beneath the clematis I envisioned twining itself on the wires overhead. I moved the arbor in the very early spring, wanting to get it in place so that I could move the clematis while it was still dormant. Three weeks later, before I could get limestone in place for the path, this patch of wild phlox asserted itself--right smack dab in the place where I intended the path to be. So much for planning: I couldn't have planned anything lovelier than these phlox if I'd tried. Once again this year, I wonder about making room for a path, but once again I'm stunned by this singular island of lavender and am unwilling to tamper with it, at least until its bloom is past. Better yet, I think I'll move the arbor--again.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Very idyllic. I miss that place!

Post a Comment