Thursday, June 25, 2009


How to photograph a garden? I read once that it's good to shoot from a high vantage point so as to get the scope of the whole space, and that is what I have always tried to do--up until now. Last fall, after the elections, I heard a photographer being interviewed on Minnesota Public Radio. He was discussing camera angles and how they either help or hurt candidates. When the photo is taken from below the candidate's face, he said, it makes the candidate look more authoritative and more trustworthy, according to studies. When taken straight on, it has very little effect either way. When taken from above and looking down on the candidate, it has the effect of making the candidate look less trustworthy and less capable. My candidate is this garden, and I decided to try shooting from ground level. The result: my favorite garden photo in a long time. This candidate appears to be asserting itself strongly against grass. It seems a colorful but eco-friendly kind of choice. It can be trusted to give many hours of enjoyment. Ground-level photos get my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment