Monday, June 8, 2009


Portable potting bench, purveyor of perennials, saver of shoe leather--what a wonder is a truck. Much gardening ink has been spilled on the beauty of a good hoe or perfect pruning shears--but the gardening tool I love the most is my old truck. It saves me miles behind a wheel barrow and its end gate is just the right height for potting--which is how I got this bouquet in the back of my truck. As you can see, I should have divided the Frances Williams hosta and the Sugar and Cream much earlier in the season, but it was just this week that my daughter sent out a call for more plants to fill in the borders she is creating around her backyard, and so it was just this week that I grabbed the shovel and set about finding some things she might be able to use. One by one I potted not just the hostas but also astilbe and huechera, balloon flowers and daisies, lamb's ears and baptisia--and more. I secured them behind the cab for their trip to Northfield (only the hostas rode under cover). By evening, my daughter had them in the ground and by the next morning they had the rain they had been longing for. Gardening with my daughter made for a perfect June day--thanks to the truck.

1 comment:

Bay Area Tendrils said...

Wowsa, Coleen, you accomplished a lot! I'm giddy about foliage right now. It's that bright fresh time of year, before all fades. I popped over from Blotanical, btw.... Alice @ BayAreaTendrils

Post a Comment