Friday, June 26, 2009


This shade garden is one I leave alone until after the wild geraniums are done blooming in early June, because they fill the whole area with a gorgeous lavender drift of color. (I pull out their foliage after they bloom, but their sturdy roots stay in place so that they will come back next spring--like magic.) By the time I do pay it some attention, things are usually getting a little out of control--like hostas. Some need to be divided, but the ones taken from the empty space here needed to be moved because they were just too tall for the front of the border. The ones taken from this spot filled the back seat of my daughter's big, red Buick and turned it into what looked like a portable garden center. Maybe she stopped off somewhere on her way home and sold them--I don't know. What I do know is that I've been trying to get all of these basic, tall green hostas (whose name I am sorry to say I don't know) out of the front of my border for about ten years, but they just seem to keep working their way in. Now I think I may have made progress, having given so many away and having moved so many back toward the edge of the woods. I disparage them, but I also love their healthy leaves and their pretty, fresh green color. And, after all, they were here before I was. As were the wild geraniums. They all have their place. (Sometimes it is in a car...)

1 comment:

islandgardener said...

I like hostas, but not necessarily when they bloom because I think they get straggley (is that a word??) looking. Can't have them in my back yard now because the geese would definitely feast on them...but, in my shady front yard...

Post a Comment